LEARN SOMETHING NEW; TKAT WELLBEING WEEK TIP #4Posted on: 24th Jun 2021
TKAT WELLBEING WEEK: 21st-25th JUNE 2021
Every day during TKAT Wellbeing Week, we are bringing you a 'Wellbeing Tip of the Day'
Today's tip is: LEARN SOMETHING NEW
Read. Take an online course. Research a topic - learning provides you with an escape when you need it, knowledge when you seek it and a satisfying pastime.
Learning has been shown to help improve and maintain our wellbeing.
It can boost self-confidence and self-esteem, help build a sense of purpose and foster connections with others.
People engaged in learning report feeling better about themselves and a greater ability to cope with stress, as well as feeling more self-confidence, hope and purpose.
Some scientists think that setting goals and working towards them plays an important role in the way learning influences wellbeing. Setting targets and hitting them can create positive feelings of accomplishment and achievement and can also be motivating to do more.
Classes and formal courses are great ways to learn new things, but there are lots of other ways to keep learning. You might:
- Learn to cook a new dish from a recipe.
- Visit a gallery or museum and learn about something that interests you.
- Take on a new responsibility at work, such as learning to use an IT system.
- Subscribe to a research or literary journal.
- Fix a broken bike, garden gate or bigger DIY project. YouTube is great for this.
- Sign up for a course at a local community centre. You can learn a new art or crafting skill or try something practical such as gardening or plumbing.
- Rediscover an old hobby that challenges you.
Learn something new today!
There will be another wellbeing tip on this website tomorrow.